In July, the headline read, Gov. Scott Walker Signs 11 Bills Investing Millions In Drug Treatment Programs.
Libertarians believe Wisconsin government, once again, chose the wrong solution for a growing problem. The Libertarian solution is “More Freedom, Less Government.” We should try it.
Mark Thornton of the Ludwig von Mises Institute attributes the crisis to the following four causes.
- Drug Prohibition
- The Iron Law of Prohibition
- Government intervention in the economy
- Aggressive marketing of opioid painkillers to doctors
Thornton recommends two simple, inexpensive acts which would solve the problem.
- End prohibition of hard drugs
- Re-legalize cannabis
“The Opioid epidemic is killing more than 30,000 Americans a year. For most experts, the epidemic is a mystery with regard to its cause and solution. A little progress has been made, but to really eliminate the problem we need to legalize drugs, reduce the size of government, and increase freedom in our lives.”
By Nichols Sarwark, LP National Committee Chair
After toppling the Afghan government almost sixteen years ago, the United States entered into nation building thinking that it would help improve corners of the world that terrorists find inviting. Our country has spent hundreds of billions of dollars and lost thousands of lives in these futile efforts.
According to Forbes: "Since [the initial] intervention in the aftermath of 9/11, roughly 2,400 American military personnel have died and more than 20,000 been wounded attempting to bring democracy to Central Asia. Some 3,500 military contractors have been killed, along with more than 1,100 allied personnel. Overall the US has poured more than $800 billion into the war. Set aside the costs of combat. The US has spent $117.3 billion on relief and 'reconstruction,' that is, attempting to create a functioning state in Afghanistan."
Despite all of this sacrifice and hard work, nation building in Iraq and Afghanistan has been a failure. No matter how sophisticated our military is and no matter how much we sacrifice, nation building is far more difficult than our politicians believed. Not only that, it may create more terrorists than it quells.Read more
BE IT RESOLVED, that the Government of the United States should immediately begin a transition to a foreign policy that includes:
- Rejecting the role of “policeman of the world,” ceasing military and covert intervention in the affairs of foreign countries, and using military force only when absolutely necessary to protect U.S. sovereignty, territory, and vital interests, narrowly defined;
- Substantially reducing the more than 700 U.S. military installations around the world;
- Curtailing the bloated military budget, allowing resources to be redirected towards cutting the deficit, cutting taxes, investing in America, or any other use as Americans see fit;
- Reducing the size of the U.S. nuclear arsenal to a minimum deterrent level, and fully supporting the implementation of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty;
- Emphasizing diplomacy, law, and cooperation in international relations and dispute resolution;
- Upholding civil liberties guaranteed by the Constitution; and
- Reining in executive military action.
Libertarian National Committee Executive Director Wes Benedict issued the following statement:
The Libertarian Party condemns bigotry as irrational and repugnant, and offers its condolences to the family of the woman killed in Charlottesville, Va.
There is no room for racists and bigots in the Libertarian Party. If there are white nationalists who — inappropriately — are members of the Libertarian Party, I ask them to submit their resignations today. We don’t want them to associate with the Libertarian Party, and we don’t want their money. I’m not expecting many resignations, because our membership already knows this well.
The Libertarian Party Platform states, “We condemn bigotry as irrational and repugnant. Government should neither deny nor abridge any individual’s human right based upon sex, wealth, ethnicity, creed, age, national origin, personal habits, political preference, or sexual orientation.”
The Libertarian Party is tolerant and accepting, supporting civil liberties, gay marriage, and freedom of religion for all, including Jews, Muslims, Christians, and atheists. The Libertarian Party supports open borders, civil liberties, racial diversity, and free trade — things that white nationalists abhor.Read more